Yesterday, the Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources (DCNR) announced an investment of $28 million for 176 projects across Pennsylvania! These projects include creating new recreational opportunities, conserving natural resources, revitalizing local communities and of particular interest to us, trail developments.
From this investment, the Circuit Trails received more than $2.46 million in grants for planning, designing and constructing trails! Several of these projects will also receive grant funding from DVRPC's Regional Trail Fund.
Below is the full list of Circuit Trails projects which received funding. You can find the full list of PA projects by clicking the following link: http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/cs/groups/public/documents/document/dcnr_20031593.pdf
- In Morrisville Borough, $60,000 was granted for design of approximately 0.10 miles of the D&L Canal Trail crossing Bridge Street. The design will include drawings, specifications and other related documents.
Delaware County/Chester County
- $60,000 will be used to prepare a Comprehensive Recreation, Open Space and Greenways Plan for Chester City, Delaware County.
- Development of the Bridgeport Loop Trail in Bridgeport Borough was granted $331,000. The work will include construction of approximately 1.1 miles of trail from DeKalb Street between Fourth and Fifth streets, across the O'Neill Development Site, to DeKalb and West Front streets; ADA access, landscaping, project sign, signage and other related site improvements.
- $200,000 will be used to design approximately 3.5 miles of the Chester Valley Rail Trail in Upper Merion Township, Bridgeport, and Norristown boroughs, from South Gulph Road in Upper Merion Township to East Main Street in Norristown Borough.
- $160,000 will contribute to further developments of the Schuylkill River Trail in Lower Pottsgrove Township. The work will include construction of approximately 0.6 miles of trail from the Pottstown Borough line to the US 422 Bridge; ADA access, landscaping, project sign, signage and other related site improvements.
- Further development of the D&L Trail in North Catasauqua and Northampton boroughs will be granted $195,000. The work will include construction of approximately 1.3 miles of trail from Canal Park in Northampton Borough to the Lehigh County border in North Catasauqua Borough, pedestrian bridge, and culvert; ADA access, landscaping, project sign, signage and other related site improvements.
- Natural Lands Trust, Inc. will receive a $350,000 payment toward the acquisition of approximately 35 acres along the Tacony Creek in the City of Philadelphia for open space, passive recreation and access to the Tacony Creek.
- $400,000 in payment will go toward the acquisition of approximately 1.9 acres located along Frankford Creek in the City of Philadelphia for open space, passive recreation and the development of the Frankford Creek Greenway.
- $60,000 will be used to design approximately 1 mile of the Pennypack Trail in Philadelphia from the Interstate 95 Overpass to Rawn Street.
- Philadelphia City Treasurer Streets Department was awarded $400,000 to design approximately 2.1 miles of the Spring Garden Street Greenway from the Delaware River Trail to the Schuylkill River Trail in Philadelphia.
- Philadelphia Department of Commerce was awarded $250,000 to further develop the Delaware River Trail in Philadelphia. The work will include construction of approximately 0.75 miles of trail from Washington Avenue to Pier 70 Boulevard; ADA access, landscaping, project sign, signage and other related site improvements.